The Sock Story

The answer to today’s Daily Prompt about what you prefer in a handmade version seems abundantly obvious to me: I love my hand knit socks. I know the efficiency level of knitting a pair of socks vs. buying a pair of socks doesn’t even compare. The cost of the sock yarn alone will buy you several pair of decent socks. The thing is, there is just something comforting about slipping on a pair of hand knit socks.

photo

My sock drawer

I live in my socks all winter, most of the spring and fall, and more than a few days in the summer.

I may have purchased special footwear so you can see my fancy socks:

IMG_4747

And struggle with what footwear to wear:

photo

Because my feet are usually cold, I may be wearing them right now with a pair of capris.

photo

It’s a special look that will likely hopefully not catch on.

Until you’ve worn hand knit socks, you don’t know what you’re missing. And until you’ve knit a pair of socks, you don’t know how much time effort can go into keeping your feet warm…an effort that is well worth it.

One thought on “The Sock Story

1. August 1, 2014 at 1:59 am

I love hand-knit socks! And like yours, my feet are usually on the cold side so I would really like to get a few pairs to keep me warm in the winter (will be on the lookout at the local markets and fairs, as I’m afraid my knitting ability is basic at best – certainly not sock-standard 😉 )
    PS: A little typo slipped through: “Because my feel are usually cold, I may be wearing them right know with a pair of capris.” I’m certain you wanted to write “feet” rather than “feel” and feel free to edit out this part of the message once you’ve made the change 🙂

• August 1, 2014 at 7:36 am

I find socks easier than sweaters; once you’ve conquered knitting in the round they’re pretty straightforward.

Thanks for the typo heads-up. I was rushing to the next thing and didn’t proof read closely enough. All fixed now. 🙂

Have a great weekend!

• August 1, 2014 at 10:25 am

Thank you, Bonnie, and a lovely weekend to you too. Perhaps one day I will dare and try my hand at knitting socks too 🙂

2. August 1, 2014 at 10:45 am

Knitting socks is my very favourite thing too Bonnie. The pair I love most have been worn for nine whole winters and still going strong. I have a pair on the needles all the time and I enjoy the pleasure of gifting them to the deserving (ie those who ‘get’ hand-knitted socks). Viva la sockers, I say! 🙂

• August 1, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Viva la sockers – I love it! I’m very jealous of nine winters out of one pair; mine usually top out around 4-5 years.

3. August 1, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Totally agree with you. I only have a couple of hand knit socks but I wear them constantly during winter. I need more, and plenty of yarn in my stash to do so. I am plannin to start a new pair before September. Love your funky transparent shoes. On the trend side, there were quite a few socks with sandals in magazines this spring. So who knows? You might be trendier than you think. 😉

• August 1, 2014 at 1:37 pm

LOL – I don’t think I’m ready to venture outside the house like that just yet, but you never know…

4. August 3, 2014 at 12:27 pm

I’m with you 100% on the socks! (and I’ve also been known to put on socks on summer evenings despite wearing capri trousers)

• August 3, 2014 at 4:12 pm