When Good Salad Goes Bad

I have an obsession with Jello salads. I know, their fashionability went out about the same time as leg warmers and teased bangs, but show me a Jello salad at a potluck and I am a happy girl!

My sister invited me for supper last night and I decided I’d try a Jello salad for my contribution. I broke out my grandmother’s classic Tupperware Jello mold (what’s a salad without the mold)

I googled some recipes and tried a Jello/cream cheese/pineapple combo (really, how could that be bad?)

Unfortunately, my cream cheese hadn’t softened as much as I thought it had which became abundantly clear when I tried to blend it with the Jello.  Despite my best efforts (and the resulting appearance of carnage with my too-small bowl and cherry Jello overspray) I ended up with junks of cream cheese in the salad.

The result: a slightly crappy Jello salad. But at least it looks pretty!

I’m wondering if you have a classic Jello salad recipe?

One thought on “When Good Salad Goes Bad

1. July 6, 2015 at 6:49 pm

It’s always a big joke in my family when my aunt brings her jello salad. We always tease about it being for dessert not supper. But the bowl is always empty at the end of the evening.

2. July 6, 2015 at 8:48 pm

I’ve never heard of Jello salad before. Somehow the combination of these words seems highly improbable. But what do I know about Canadian cuisine?

• July 6, 2015 at 9:31 pm

I don’t think they are a ‘Canadian’ thing. Gelatin salads/moulds have been around since the 1920’s when boxed gelatin became available.

• July 6, 2015 at 11:53 pm

Well, definitely not French… Now that we mention jelly, I do remember eating it for the first time in England. But it was usually served as a pudding. I never tried it in a salad.

• July 6, 2015 at 9:50 pm

My grandmother would usually make them for family dinners. It sounds like an odd combination of ingredients, but I always loved them.

• July 6, 2015 at 11:54 pm

I’d have to try at least once in my life. I do like jello 😉

w