Ain’t Technology Grand

I’m of an age that I remember when our school first got a computer and how exciting it was.  I remember using a disk (that actually was floppy) to boot up a computer. I remember when cell phones came in bags.

I also remember when people were away from where you were, you most likely wrote a letter or made a relatively expensive long distance call.

Not that I haven’t embraced technology (I am writing this post on my iPad) and I will admit to a slight cell phone addiction. But most of my communication is with people in the same area, province, or at least country.

So today when I got a text from a work friend who was in China I have to admit I thought it was quite amazing that we could carry on a real-time “conversation” about who was sworn into the new federal cabinet (and about the time difference and food, because well, that’s interesting too).

I don’t consider myself THAT old, but sometimes I am still awe struck by the changes I have seen in my lifetime.

One thought on “Ain’t Technology Grand

1. November 4, 2015 at 11:04 pm

I agree. When I was a student it cost a fortune to call the UK from Germany and you had to go to special international phone boxes to do so. Now I can use the internet to call from the other side of the world for ‘free’ (assuming internet costs are there anyway)!

2. November 5, 2015 at 5:48 am

I remember the evolution of technology but maybe a bit farther back. I think I might be old.

3. Melissa Smith
    November 5, 2015 at 6:58 am

It is amazing how far we’ve come in so short a time, isn’t it! I went to a one-room schoolhouse until grade 5 and it wasn’t for a couple years after that that I first saw a computer. Now look at us, with our smartphones and tablets we take everywhere. It’s mind boggling!

4. November 5, 2015 at 6:45 pm

I know exactly how you feel. I worked for years in a telecommunications company but never got over the fact that you can pick up a small device and talk to someone on the other side of the planet. It is a miracle that we take for granted.

5. November 6, 2015 at 8:23 pm

Love it! I always tell people that I met my best friend in college because we shared a mailbox (our last names were next to each other in alphabetical order). I doubt kids meet each other that way now in college!

6. Den
    November 7, 2015 at 10:13 am

I agree! I remember when we got our first computer at home – it hooked up to our tv and took cassette tapes, even. The school’s had the floppies and we were SO excited to print banners and make word searches. 🙂 And I remember it was such a treat to make a 10 minute long distance call to a child hood friend. Amazing how things have changed…