My Socks Have a Dual Personality

Once I’m done the hub bub of Christmas knitting I generally try to knit myself a pair of socks in January. The first of the month I cast on my socks from the Tosh Sock yarn I purchased at Knit East.

I finished the first sock around mid-month. I loved the vibrant colours; it reminded me of sprinkles on a cake (especially when applied by a small child):

As I knit away on sock two, I couldn’t help but notice the yarn wasn’t quite as bright. I kept thinking it was a quirk in the dying, so I knit faster trying to find the bright colours but alas they never arrived:

Still, I like this paler version of the sock too. It’s just that it’s very different from the first:

It’s hard to believe it’s from the same skein. One is like a tripped out New Year’s Eve celebration; the other is a quiet night with a good book.  Both have their good points, and both have their drawbacks.

Given my anal obsession with matching stripes when I’m knitting socks, these are stretching the edge of my “same enough” meter.  Still when you put them on, there is still nothing like a pair of hand knit socks.

Even if they do appear to have different personalities.

One thought on “My Socks Have a Dual Personality

1. Den
    February 1, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Awww I think they’re lovely! 🙂

2. February 1, 2016 at 7:49 pm

They look lovely! I think that the difference between the two socks are great, they have a lot of personality this way!

3. HB
    February 1, 2016 at 10:02 pm

Split personalities can be good!! Each have wonderful strengths of their own

4. February 1, 2016 at 10:39 pm

Yeah, that would drive me crazy. Hard to believe it was the same skein. I’d have to give those to Ella 🙂

5. February 2, 2016 at 5:33 am

Such a lovely pair of knit socks. Though one may be a bit paler than the other, I’m sure both socks keep your feet warm. It looks like they fit very well. A great match 🙂

6. February 2, 2016 at 7:43 am

So cozy!! I like the their fraternal aspect 🙂 I need to wash my handknit socks! You’ve got my feet craving a pair!

7. February 2, 2016 at 10:37 am

I hate when yarn is inconsistent like that! But even so, they are still cozy and lovely.

8. February 20, 2016 at 9:54 pm

I’ve knit fraternal twin socks like this before, and I like mismatched socks anyway, but I always find it kind of fun when they turn out completely different from the same yarn. I agree that whatever you think about them, once you get a pair of handknit socks on, everything else just kind of melts away.

9. February 28, 2016 at 10:29 am

I think they look great! Kind of like cupcakes where you put the sprinkles in the batter, sometimes one of the cupcakes gets less sprinkles that the other. Weird how the dye came out, but I’m not a match stripes knitter on socks.. mitts are another story!

• February 28, 2016 at 11:08 am

LOL – I’m definitely a matchy person; my nieces are into mis-matched and it hurts me a little to deliberately not match their mittens. I’ve taken to knitting solid colours and they can trade if they don’t want to match. 😜

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )